Kevin Read serves on the Data Services Team, and is the dedicated librarian for Emergency Medicine and the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine. Kevin provides training and research support for faculty, residents and staff on topics including: research data management, REDCap, systematic reviews, grant support and citation management. His areas of expertise include research data management, data sharing, literature searching, metadata, and education.
Kevin is also the lead of the NYU Data Catalog project that makes datasets created by, and of interest to NYU researchers more discoverable.
Kevin holds a Master’s of Library and Information Sciences (MLIS) and a Master’s of Archival Science (MAS) from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
- Basic Science Toolkit - This toolkit was created for researchers working in the basic sciences. It provides information and resources for accessing licensed content offline, finding grants, utilizing research and publication-tracking tools, locating protocols, and much more.
- Emergency Medicine - This guide offers useful tools and resources to students, physicians and clinical staff supporting emergency services at NYU Langone Medical Center and affiliated communities.
- Read, Kevin. Common Metadata Elements for Cataloging Biomedical Datasets. figshare. 2017.
- Wightman, Rachel S; Read, Kevin B; Hoffman, Robert S. Evidence-Based Management Of Caustic Exposures In The Emergency Department. Emergency medicine practice. 2016:18(5):-.
- Femia, Robert; Wilkens, Christine; Rodriguez, Danielle; Read, Kevin B; Gavin, Nicholas; Caspers, Christopher; Jamin, Catherine. Cost Savings And Palliative Care Referrals From The Emergency Department. Physician leadership journal. 2016:3:8-11.
- Read, Kevin. The Accidental Data Scientist: Big Data Applications and Opportunities for Librarians and Information Professionals. Journal of the Canadian Health Libraries Association = Journal de l'Association des bibliotheques de la sante du Canada. 2016:37(1):24-25.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin. Research data management. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):154-156.
- Read, Kevin B; Surkis, Alisa; Larson, Catherine; McCrillis, Aileen; Graff, Alice; Nicholson, Joey; Xu, Juanchan. Starting the data conversation: informing data services at an academic health sciences library. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):131-135.
- Read, Kevin B; Sheehan, Jerry R; Huerta, Michael F; Knecht, Lou S; Mork, James G; Humphreys, Betsy L. Sizing the Problem of Improving Discovery and Access to NIH-Funded Data: A Preliminary Study. PLoS one. 2015:10(7):e0132735-e0132735.
- Read, Kevin; Athens, Jessica; Lamb, Ian; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Junchuan; Rambo, Neil; Surkis, Alisa. Promoting Data Reuse and Collaboration at an Academic Medical Center. International journal of digital curation. 2015:10(1):260-267.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin; Lamb, Ian; Athens, Jessica; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Julia; Hanson, Karen; Larson, Catherine. BUILDING A DATA CATALOG: PROMOTING DATA REUSE AND COLLABORATION AT AN ACADEMIC MEDICAL CENTER. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(4):229-230.
- How to avoid a data management nightmare. Hanson, Karen; Read, Kevin; Surkis, Alisa.