Alisa Surkis is the Head of Data Services and the Translational Science librarian. The Data Services unit provides support for research data management and data visualization, maintains an institutional data catalog, and serves as a locus for education on collecting, managing, analyzing, visualizing, and sharing data. In her role as Translational Science Librarian, Dr. Surkis is the Director of Team Science for the NYU-HHC CTSI and works to facilitate research collaboration. She also leads a cross-institutional effort that uses machine learning to classify studies along the translational research spectrum.
She received her MLS from Queens College, and has an MS in physics from Stanford University, and a PhD in neuroscience from NYU.
- Surkis, Alisa; Hogle, Janice A; DiazGranados, Deborah; Hunt, Joe D; Mazmanian, Paul E; Connors, Emily; Westaby, Kate; Whipple, Elizabeth C; Adamus, Trisha; Mueller, Meridith; Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon. Classifying publications from the clinical and translational science award program along the translational research spectrum: a machine learning approach. Journal of translational medicine. 2016:14(1):235-235.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin. Research data management. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):154-156.
- Read, Kevin B; Surkis, Alisa; Larson, Catherine; McCrillis, Aileen; Graff, Alice; Nicholson, Joey; Xu, Juanchan. Starting the data conversation: informing data services at an academic health sciences library. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):131-135.
- Read, Kevin; Athens, Jessica; Lamb, Ian; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Junchuan; Rambo, Neil; Surkis, Alisa. Promoting Data Reuse and Collaboration at an Academic Medical Center. International journal of digital curation. 2015:10(1):260-267.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin; Lamb, Ian; Athens, Jessica; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Julia; Hanson, Karen; Larson, Catherine. BUILDING A DATA CATALOG: PROMOTING DATA REUSE AND COLLABORATION AT AN ACADEMIC MEDICAL CENTER. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(4):229-230.
- Ogedegbe, Gbenga; Gyamfi, Joyce; Plange-Rhule, Jacob; Surkis, Alisa; Rosenthal, Diana Margot; Airhihenbuwa, Collins; Iwelunmor, Juliet; Cooper, Richard. Task shifting interventions for cardiovascular risk reduction in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. BMJ open. 2014:4(10):e005983-e005983.
- How to avoid a data management nightmare. Hanson, Karen; Read, Kevin; Surkis, Alisa.
- Williams, Jeff; McCrillis, Aileen; McGowan, Richard; Nicholson, Joey; Surkis, Alisa; Thompson, Holly; Vieira, Dorice. Leveraging technology and staffing in developing a new liaison program. Medical reference service quarterly. 2014:33(2):157-166.
- Data Sharing and Management Snafu in 3 Short Acts. Hanson, Karen; Surkis, Alisa; Yacobucci, Karen.
- Surkis, Alisa; McCrillis, Aileen; McGowan, Richard; Williams, Jeffrey; Schmidt, Brian L; Hardt, Markus; Rambo, Neil. Informationist Support for a Study of the Role of Proteases and Peptides in Cancer Pain. Journal of escience librarianship. 2013:2(1):35-40.