Kevin Read is the Lead of Data Discovery and Data Services Librarian. He leads the NYU Data Catalog project; an initiative to make research datasets created and used by NYU researchers more discoverable. This project is also a multi-site collaboration that involves seven academic institutions working to improve the discoverability of institutional research data.
Kevin provides training and research support to faculty, residents and staff on topics including: clinical research data management, REDCap, reproducibility, and data sharing. He also provides data education on a national scale to other health sciences libraries interested in developing data services. His areas of expertise include research data management, data standards, REDCap, metadata, data sharing, and data education.
Kevin is a former Associate Fellow from the NIH’s National Library of Medicine. He received his Master of Library and Information Sciences (MLIS) and Master of Archival Science (MAS) from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
- Read, Kevin B; Koos, Jessica; Miller, Rebekah S; Miller, Cathryn F; Phillips, Gesina A; Scheinfeld, Laurel; Surkis, Alisa. A model for initiating research data management services at academic libraries. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2019:107(3):432-441.
- Read, Kevin B. Adapting data management education to support clinical research projects in an academic medical center. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2019:107(1):89-97.
- Read, Kevin B; Larson, Catherine; Gillespie, Colleen; Oh, So Young; Surkis, Alisa. A two-tiered curriculum to improve data management practices for researchers. PLoS one. 2019:14(5):e0215509-.
- Read, Kevin B; Amos, Liz; Federer, Lisa M; Logan, Ayaba; Plutchak, T Scott; Akers, Katherine G. Practicing what we preach: developing a data sharing policy for the Journal of the Medical Library Association. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2018:106(2):155-158.
- Read, Kevin; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin. A new hat for librarians: providing REDCap support to establish the library as a central data hub. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2018:106(1):120-126.
- Surkis, Alisa; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Contaxis, Nicole; Read, Kevin B. Data Day to Day: building a community of expertise to address data skills gaps in an academic medical center. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):185-191.
- Read, Kevin B; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Tolea, Magdalena I; Galvin, James E; Surkis, Alisa. Improving data collection, documentation, and workflow in a dementia screening study. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):160-166.
- Sansone, Susanna-Assunta; Gonzalez-Beltran, Alejandra; Rocca-Serra, Philippe; Alter, George; Grethe, Jeffrey S; Xu, Hua; Fore, Ian; Lyle, Jared; Gururaj, Anupama E; Chen, Xiaoling; Kim, Hyeoneui; Zong, Nansu; Li, Yueling; Liu, Ruiling; Ozyurt, Ibrahim Burak; Ohno-Machado, Lucial; bioCADDIE Working Group Members; [Read, Kevin]. DATS: the data tag suite to enable discoverability of datasets. bioRxiv.org : the preprint server for biology. 2017:-.
- Read, Kevin. Common Metadata Elements for Cataloging Biomedical Datasets. figshare. 2017.
- Fermia, Robert; Wilkins, Christine; Rodriguez, Danielle; Read, Kevin B; Gavin, Nicholas; Caspers, Christopher; Jamin, Catherine. COST SAVINGS AND PALLIATIVE CARE REFERRALS FROM THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Physician leadership journal. 2016:3(5):8-11.