Requesting a book, book chapter, article, or other document
NYUHSL offers comprehensive document delivery services for affiliated users. Use the request an article or book form to order:
- Books not owned by NYUHSL
- Books owned by NYUHSL but stored at the offsite storage or another branch
- Copies of journal articles or book chapters not owned by NYUHSL
- Copies of journal articles or chapters available in print or electronically at NYUHSL
- Other documents (microfiche, microfilm, dissertations, DVDs, etc.)
- Bobst Library also offers additional book delivery services for faculty.
Who can use document delivery and interlibrary loan (ILL) services?
- Faculty, staff, students and alumni affiliated with NYULMC, NYU School of Medicine, and NYU College of Dentistry may use NYUHSL's document delivery services.
- Alumni of NYU School of Medicine should register at the University's Alumni E-Library to be able to use some of our E-resources for free. Learn how to get access to the Alumni E-Library here. Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and College of Dentistry may also use Document Delivery Services for an extra charge.
- If you are an unaffiliated user (i.e., Loansome Doc subscriber, corporation or firm), see the "Can Loansome Doc subscribers use the Library?" section.
- We do not serve the NYU Washington Square campus. NYU Division of Libraries offers an interlibrary loan service for faculty, staff, and students at Washington Square.
- Interlibrary loan and document delivery services are free for faculty, staff, and students of NYULMC, NYU School of Medicine, and NYU College of Dentistry.
- There is a $10.00 charge per request for Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and NYU College of Dentistry
- All invoices are to be paid on time. Patrons who do not pay their invoices will be blocked from all library services until the balance is paid in full.
Are there any limits on document delivery?
- Patrons may request a maximum of 10 books at a time from the NYUHSL collection..
- Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and NYU College of Dentistry cannot borrow books from the NYUHSL collection.
- Patrons may request a maximum of 10 articles at a time from NYUHSL printed collection. Once a request has been filled, additional items may be requested.
- Photocopying is limited to 50 consecutive pages and cannot be greater than 2/3 of the whole publication.
- Photocopying or reproduction cannot be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research (U.S. copyright law; Title 17, U.S. Code).
How many books may I borrow through interlibrary loan (ILL)?
- Patrons may request a maximum of 10 books at a time from other libraries.
- Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and NYU College of Dentistry are not allowed to borrow books from other libraries.
Can I renew my interlibrary loan?
Most interlibrary loan materials can be renewed. Due dates and renewal eligibility information will be displayed on the band attached to the book. Renewals may be requested by phone, e-mail, or in person at the Document Delivery Services Department.
How can I speed up my document request?
- NYUHSL provides access to thousands of journals and books electronically. To download, save or print an article/chapter yourself, search NYUHSL's e-resources for the journal/book name.
- If you have an article's DOI name (e.g., 10.1000/182), you might be able to get the full text here: http://dx.doi.org/
Where can I get help with my request?
If you have additional questions, for example to inquire about returning a book or cannot find what you need, please contact the Document Delivery Services office directly:
- By phone: 212-263-5388
- By email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours of operation: 9:00am–5:00pm (Monday–Friday)