Requesting a book, book chapter, article, or other document
NYUHSL (NYU Health Sciences Library) offers comprehensive Document Delivery Services for affiliated users.
Students, faculty and staff can request:
- Books not owned by NYUHSL
- Books owned by NYUHSL but stored at the offsite storage or another branch
- Copies of journal articles or book chapters not owned by NYUHSL
- Copies of journal articles or chapters available in print or electronically at NYUHSL
- Other documents (microfiche, microfilm, dissertations, DVDs, etc.)
Who can use Document Delivery Services (DDS)?
- Faculty, staff, and students affiliated with NYU Langone Health, and NYU College of Dentistry may use NYUHSL's Document Delivery Services.
- Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and NYU College of Dentistry should register at the University's Alumni E-Library to be able to use some of our E-resources for free. Learn how to get access to the Alumni E-Library here.
- We do not serve the NYU Washington Square campus and other NYU Colleges. NYU Division of Libraries offers an interlibrary loan service for NYU faculty, staff, and students.
How fast can I get a requested publication?
Document Delivery turnaround times may vary from the average during holidays and breaks.
|If you request...||...you will get...||...within approximately|
|A book not owned by NYUHSL||The book delivered to your branch library for pick up||1-3 weeks *|
|A book owned by NYUHSL||The book delivered to your branch library for pick up||3-4 business days *|
|An article or chapter available in print at NYUHSL||An electronic copy of the article or chapter by email||1-2 business day *|
|An article available electronically at
|An electronic copy of the article by email||1 business day *|
|An article or chapter not owed by NYUHSL||An electronic copy of the article or chapter by email||2-5 business days *|
|*Some exceptions may apply.|
- Interlibrary loan and document delivery services are free for faculty, staff, and students of NYU Langone and NYU College of Dentistry.
- Items that are more than 20 days overdue will be declared “lost.” The patron will be billed for the cost of the item plus a non-refundable $30.00 processing fee.
Are there any limits on document delivery?
- Patrons may request a maximum of 10 books at a time..
- Photocopying is limited to 50 consecutive pages or one chapter and cannot be greater than 10% of the whole publication.
- Photocopying or reproduction cannot be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research (U.S. copyright law; Title 17, U.S. Code).
Can I renew my interlibrary loan?
Most interlibrary loan materials can be renewed. Due dates and renewal eligibility information will be displayed on the band attached to the book.
The first renewal must be submitted online. All following renewals may be requested by phone (212-2635388) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
How can I speed up my document request?
- NYUHSL provides access to thousands of journals and books electronically. To download, save or print an article/chapter yourself, search NYUHSL's e-resources for the journal/book name.
- If you have an article's DOI name (e.g., 10.1000/182), you might be able to get the full text here: http://dx.doi.org/
Where can I get help with my request?
If you have additional questions, for example to inquire about returning a book or cannot find what you need, please contact the Document Delivery Services office directly:
- By phone: 212-263-5388
- By email: email@example.com
- Hours of operation: 8:00am–5:00pm (Monday–Friday)