Requesting a book, book chapter, article, or other document
NYUHSL (NYU Health Sciences Library) offers comprehensive Document Delivery Services for affiliated users.
Students, faculty and staff can request:
- Books not owned by NYUHSL
- Books owned by NYUHSL but stored at the offsite storage or another branch
- Copies of journal articles or book chapters not owned by NYUHSL
- Copies of journal articles or chapters available in print or electronically at NYUHSL
- Other documents (microfiche, microfilm, dissertations, DVDs, etc.)
Who can use Document Delivery Services (DDS)?
- Faculty, staff, and students affiliated with NYU Langone Health, and NYU College of Dentistry may use NYUHSL's Document Delivery Services.
- Alumni of NYU School of Medicine and NYU College of Dentistry can register with NYU to access selected library resources online. For more information and to register, please refer to the NYU Alumni eLibrary.
- We do not serve the NYU Washington Square campus and other NYU Colleges. NYU Division of Libraries offers an interlibrary loan service for NYU faculty, staff, and students.
How fast can I get a requested publication?
Document Delivery turnaround times may vary from the average during holidays and breaks.
|If you request...||...you will get...||...within approximately|
|A book not owned by NYUHSL||The book delivered to your branch library for pick up**||1-3 weeks *|
|A book owned by NYUHSL||The book delivered to your branch library for pick up**||3-4 business days *|
|An article or chapter available in print at NYUHSL||An electronic copy of the article or chapter by email||1-2 business day *|
|An article available electronically at
|An electronic copy of the article by email||1 business day *|
|An article or chapter not owed by NYUHSL||An electronic copy of the article or chapter by email||2-5 business days *|
|*Some exceptions may apply. Add 3 days for Home Delivery.
**We are also offering free Home Delivery and return via UPS. To utilize this service, you will need to add your home address in the Notes section when making the request.
Delivery Options for Books in Print
Please Note: delivery times vary based on your selected method of delivery. If your item is needed as quickly as possible, we recommend utilizing Library Locker delivery.
Locker Delivery for Book Pickup
When the requested item is available for pickup, email notification will be sent, which includes a locker number and locker code.
Items should be returned on-site at the Lapidus Health Sciences Library or Herman Robbins Medical Library in designated Library drop-boxes by their scheduled due date.
Estimated delivery time is approximately four to eight days from the day the item is received by the Library. If your item is needed as quickly as possible, we recommend utilizing Library Locker delivery.
You will receive an email notification when the requested book is mailed.
A UPS return label will be included with your package.
You are responsible to pack and drop the package at any UPS store by its scheduled due date.
- Interlibrary loan and document delivery services are free for faculty, staff, and students of NYU Langone and NYU College of Dentistry.
- Items that are more than 20 days overdue will be declared “lost.” The patron will be billed for the cost of the item plus a non-refundable $30.00 processing fee.
Are there any limits on document delivery?
- Patrons may request a maximum of 10 books at a time..
- Photocopying is limited to 50 consecutive pages or one chapter and cannot be greater than 10% of the whole publication.
- Photocopying or reproduction cannot be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research (U.S. copyright law; Title 17, U.S. Code).
Can I renew my interlibrary loan?
Most interlibrary loan materials can be renewed. Due dates and renewal eligibility information will be displayed on the band attached to the book.
The first renewal must be submitted online. All following renewals may be requested by phone (212-2635388) or email (email@example.com)
How can I speed up my document request?
- NYUHSL provides access to thousands of journals and books electronically. To download, save or print an article/chapter yourself, search NYUHSL's e-resources for the journal/book name.
- If you have an article's DOI name (e.g., 10.1000/182), you might be able to get the full text here: http://dx.doi.org/
Where can I get help with my request?
If you have additional questions, for example to inquire about returning a book or cannot find what you need, please contact the Document Delivery Services office directly:
- By phone: 212-263-5388
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours of operation: 8:00am–5:00pm (Monday–Friday)