Fred LaPolla is a member of NYU Health Sciences Library’s Data Services team and liaison to the Departments of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Innovation (DGIMCI) and Radiology. Fred also teaches Rigor and Reproducibility and R Programming in the Grossman School of Medicine Vilcek Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences. He is passionate about professional education and finding ways to facilitate learning around data collection, management, visualization and analysis. Fred is available for individual and group consults and hosts regular workshops at the Sid & Ruth Lapidus Library. He is also happy to help with literature searching and citation management.
Fred holds a Masters of Library Science (MLS) from Queens College, CUNY.
- Data VisualizationData Visualization is a way to help researchers explore and communicate their data. Start here for resources to help you make useful charts and graphs.
- RadiologyA collection of information resources related to radiology
- REDCapThis guide is meant to provide basic information and access to resources on REDCap, a HIPAA compliant, MCIT secured data collection tool available for free at NYU Langone and many other medical institutions.
- LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Bakker, Caitlin J; Exner, Nina; Montnech, Tisha; Surkis, Alisa; Ye, Hao. Rigor and reproducibility instruction in academic medical libraries. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2022:110(3):281-293.
- Contaxis, Nicole; LaPolla, Fred Wz; Milliken, Genevieve. Engaging health sciences librarians on data ethics: case study on a pilot curriculum. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2022:110(4):485-493.
- LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Contaxis, Nicole; Surkis, Alisa. Piloting a long-term evaluation of library data workshops. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2021:109(3):490-496.
- Kurland, S; Shen, M S; LaPolla, F W; Saunders, E F; Atchley, D S; Scher, J; Gillespie, C. Fighting the COVID-19 pandemic from the clinic-impact of the primary care provider. Journal of general internal medicine. 2021:Conference:(2021):S42-S43.
- Varnum, C A; Ware, B; LaPolla, F W; Gillespie, C C; Chebly, K. The health of informal caregivers in the United States: Does burden of responsibility correlate with health outcomes?. Journal of general internal medicine. 2020:Conference:(Annual):S291-S292.
- LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin. Excel for data visualization in academic health sciences libraries: a qualitative case study. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2020:108(1):67-75.
- Fine, Noam David; LaPolla, Fred; Epstein, Matthew; Loeb, Stacy; Dani, Hasan. Genomic Classifiers for Treatment Selection in Newly Diagnosed Prostate Cancer. BJU international. 2019:124(4):578-586.
- Creighton, S L; Diuguid-Gerber, J; Lawrence, K; Rufin, M; LaPolla, F W; Gillespie, C; Manyindo, N; Dannefer, R; Seidl, L; Thorpe, L. Mental health and self-efficacy to manage chronic health conditions among nyc public housing residents. Journal of general internal medicine. 2019:Conference:(2019):S284-.
- Walter, William R; Samim, Mohammad; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Gyftopoulos, Soterios. Imaging Quantification of Glenoid Bone Loss in Patients With Glenohumeral Instability: A Systematic Review. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 2019:1-10.
- LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Rubin, Denis. The "Data Visualization Clinic": a library-led critique workshop for data visualization. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2018:106(4):477-482.