Dr. Surkis manages the data services unit, which provides support for research data management and data visualization, maintains an institutional data catalog, and serves as a locus for education on collecting, managing, analyzing, visualizing, and sharing data. She also works on the development of services and tools to assess research impact, including dashboards and tools to measure citation and collaboration, and machine learning algorithms to classify studies along the translational research spectrum. In addition, Dr. Surkis serves as the Co-Director of Team Science for the NYU-H+H Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
She received her MLS from Queens College, and has an MS in physics from Stanford University, and a PhD in neuroscience from NYU.
- Basic Science Toolkit
This toolkit was created for researchers working in basic science at NYU Langone Health. It provides information on accessing literature offsite, finding grants, utilizing research and publication-tracking tools, and locating protocols.
- Data Management
Local and general data management resources
- Translational Research Education Core Resources
Guide to resources and services for NYU-H+H CTSI TREC Scholars
- Read, Kevin B; Koos, Jessica; Miller, Rebekah S; Miller, Cathryn F; Phillips, Gesina A; Scheinfeld, Laurel; Surkis, Alisa. A model for initiating research data management services at academic libraries. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2019:107(3):432-441.
- Read, Kevin B; Larson, Catherine; Gillespie, Colleen; Oh, So Young; Surkis, Alisa. A two-tiered curriculum to improve data management practices for researchers. PLoS one. 2019:14:e0215509-.
- Surkis, Alisa; Spore, Stuart. The relative citation ratio: what is it and why should medical librarians care?. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2018:106(4):508-513.
- Major, Vincent; Surkis, Alisa; Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon. Utility of General and Specific Word Embeddings for Classifying Translational Stages of Research. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. 2018:2018:1405-1414.
- Surkis, Alisa; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Contaxis, Nicole; Read, Kevin B. Data Day to Day: building a community of expertise to address data skills gaps in an academic medical center. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):185-191.
- Read, Kevin B; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Tolea, Magdalena I; Galvin, James E; Surkis, Alisa. Improving data collection, documentation, and workflow in a dementia screening study. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):160-166.
- Surkis, Alisa; Hogle, Janice A; DiazGranados, Deborah; Hunt, Joe D; Mazmanian, Paul E; Connors, Emily; Westaby, Kate; Whipple, Elizabeth C; Adamus, Trisha; Mueller, Meridith; Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon. Classifying publications from the clinical and translational science award program along the translational research spectrum: a machine learning approach. Journal of translational medicine. 2016:14(1):235-.
- Translating expertise : the librarian's role in translational research by Conte, Marisa L (Ed). Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, . ISBN: 9781442262683.
- The Medical Library Association guide to data management for librarians by Federer, Lisa (Ed). Lanham ; Boulder ; New York ; London : Rowman & Littlefield, . ISBN: 1442264284.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin. Research data management. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):154-6.