Dr. Surkis manages the data services unit, which provides support for research data management and data visualization, maintains an institutional data catalog, and serves as a locus for education on collecting, managing, analyzing, visualizing, and sharing data. She also works on the development of services and tools to assess research impact, including dashboards and tools to measure citation and collaboration, and machine learning algorithms to classify studies along the translational research spectrum. In addition, Dr. Surkis serves as the Co-Director of Team Science for the NYU-H+H Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
She received her MLS from Queens College, and has an MS in physics from Stanford University, and a PhD in neuroscience from NYU.
- Surkis, Alisa; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Contaxis, Nicole; Read, Kevin B. Data Day to Day: building a community of expertise to address data skills gaps in an academic medical center. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):185-191.
- Read, Kevin B; LaPolla, Fred Willie Zametkin; Tolea, Magdalena I; Galvin, James E; Surkis, Alisa. Improving data collection, documentation, and workflow in a dementia screening study. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2017:105(2):160-166.
- Surkis, Alisa; Hogle, Janice A; DiazGranados, Deborah; Hunt, Joe D; Mazmanian, Paul E; Connors, Emily; Westaby, Kate; Whipple, Elizabeth C; Adamus, Trisha; Mueller, Meridith; Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon. Classifying publications from the clinical and translational science award program along the translational research spectrum: a machine learning approach. Journal of translational medicine. 2016:14:235-235.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin. Research data management. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):154-156.
- Read, Kevin B; Surkis, Alisa; Larson, Catherine; McCrillis, Aileen; Graff, Alice; Nicholson, Joey; Xu, Juanchan. Starting the data conversation: informing data services at an academic health sciences library. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(3):131-135.
- Read, Kevin; Athens, Jessica; Lamb, Ian; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Junchuan; Rambo, Neil; Surkis, Alisa. Promoting Data Reuse and Collaboration at an Academic Medical Center. International journal of digital curation. 2015:10(1):260-267.
- Surkis, Alisa; Read, Kevin; Lamb, Ian; Athens, Jessica; Nicholson, Joey; Chin, Sushan; Xu, Julia; Hanson, Karen; Larson, Catherine. BUILDING A DATA CATALOG: PROMOTING DATA REUSE AND COLLABORATION AT AN ACADEMIC MEDICAL CENTER. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015:103(4):229-230.
- Ogedegbe, Gbenga; Gyamfi, Joyce; Plange-Rhule, Jacob; Surkis, Alisa; Rosenthal, Diana Margot; Airhihenbuwa, Collins; Iwelunmor, Juliet; Cooper, Richard. Task shifting interventions for cardiovascular risk reduction in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. BMJ open. 2014:4(10):e005983-e005983.
- How to avoid a data management nightmare. Hanson, Karen; Read, Kevin; Surkis, Alisa.
- Williams, Jeff; McCrillis, Aileen; McGowan, Richard; Nicholson, Joey; Surkis, Alisa; Thompson, Holly; Vieira, Dorice. Leveraging technology and staffing in developing a new liaison program. Medical reference service quarterly. 2014:33(2):157-166.